If you wish to publish your book as an ebook, then we can take your completed manuscript and format it for Kindle, iPad and Android, create a cover for it and then distribute it worldwide via Amazon and Smashwords so that it’s also available from ebook stores such as Amazon, Apple iBooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo and more.
How does it work?
Once you’ve finished writing your book and revised it (and revised it and revised it again!) to the best of your ability, then feel free to book in for a Pre-publication planning session.
Alternatively, feel free to organise a manuscript appraisal with our associates at the Manuscript Appraisal Agency or choose a manuscript assessor or an editor from our list of great Experts. Or, send your manuscript to beta readers to get feedback and make sure you’ve written the best book you can.
Once you’re happy that your manuscript is the best it can be, get in touch with us to find out how to supply your manuscript in Word, RTF, PDF or ODT format.
Download an IndieMosh self publishing checklist from our Resources page and start thinking about the extra information we’re going to need.
We will provide a quote for you based on the information you give us.
You can BYO your own cover if you have your own cover designer. We will allow you a credit on your package price to compensate for providing your own cover and will liaise with your cover designer regarding format and delivery to us. (Please note that ebook covers must meet our specs. Covers made in MS Word are not acceptable.)
Once you’re happy with our quote, pay it in full and we go to work.
We begin by stripping the format out of your manuscript and then applying Words’ styles to each paragraph, heading and other item in your ebook, as per our tailored blend of the Smashwords Style Guide and our own best practice ebook formatting standards.
We will send you a first draft in a PDF, epub or mobi to get feedback on layout etc. Once we have your responses, we spit and polish for two more rounds to get it as perfect as possible.
If you wish to have your book proofread, then now is the time to organise that. Choose a proofreader from our Experts or use your own. Changes at this stage should be minimal, and so anything in excess of 15 minutes’ work on our part will be invoiced at our current rate ($99 per hour at 1 January 2023, including GST). We strongly recommend that you have your book edited before sending us the manuscript to minimise proofreading changes.
During the same period, we will be communicating with you about your cover if we’re preparing your cover for you. We will send your draft cover in JPEG format. Please note that ebooks don’t have a back cover, only a front cover.
We will send you an email with instructions to create your Smashwords Author page.
Once you’ve signed off on the amended file, we upload it to Amazon for sale as a Kindle ebook and to Smashwords for sale there and for distribution to the Apple iBooks store, Kobo, Barnes and Noble and more.
We will send you an email to where your ebook is available on Amazon and Smashwords, and provide at least one discount code for free and/or discounted Smashwords copies.
We will send you an email with instructions to create your Amazon AuthorCentral page.
We create your IndieMosh author profile and add your book, website and links to where your book can be bought.
We create your IndieMosh author account, so that you can log in and check your sales. (But don’t get too excited yet – it takes at least three months before we start getting sales data for you!).
You’re now a published author – congratulations!
What does it cost?
The base price for our Coral Ebook only package is $1,095.
First the good news!
- If you had a Pre-Publication Planning Session with us regarding this title within the last 12 months, we will take off $200.
- If you’ve published with us before, we will take off $50 as an IndieMosh loyalty discount.
- If you have your own cover designer and they are capable of exporting your ebook cover in line with our specs, we will take off $125 to compensate. We are happy to liaise directly with your cover designer if you wish.
The sorts of items which will increase the cost of the package are calculated as small unit costs of the following:
- Additional chapters, short stories or poems in excess of 35 where each starts on their own page and has their own heading.
- More than one section e.g. ‘Book 1’, ‘Book 2’ etc
- Tailored headers or footers per additional sections (not counting the initial section e.g. not counting ‘Book 1’)
- Footnotes or endnotes
- Image/Table/Plate/Figure insertions (not including cost of images if we are required to purchase them and does not cover enhancements using Photoshop or other formatting)
- Captions for images, tables, plates, figures etc
- Bullet point lists
- Numbered lists
- Instances of italics, other than in headings (an instance equals a word, phrase, sentence or paragraph)
- Table formatting
- Additional tables of contents for images, tables, plates, figures etc
- Index formatting
- Premium cover design – from $295
- Author’s promotional postcards x 100 – $295
- Online promotional pack – $195
Find out more about our Optional Extras here