If you wish to publish your book as both a print on demand book and ebook, then we can take your completed manuscript and format it for both, create covers for both and supply you with a printed proof for your approval prior to publishing your book.
How does it work?
Once you’ve finished writing your book and revised it (and revised it and revised it again!) to the best of your ability, then contact us to organise a manuscript assessment, or choose a manuscript assessor or an editor from our list of great Experts, or send your manuscript to beta readers to get feedback and make sure you’ve written the best book you can.
When you’re happy that your manuscript is the best it can be, get in touch with us to find out how to deliver your manuscript to us. We accept documents in Word, RTF, PDF or ODT format.
Download an IndieMosh self publishing checklist from our Resources page and start thinking about the extra information we’re going to need.
We will provide an obligation-free quote for you based on the information you give us. Please bear in mind that if you haven’t had your book edited, we may suggest that you do this before we take your book on. We may organise this for you, or we may suggest somebody who we think will be a good fit for you, or we may just refer you to our Experts page. If we do suggest editing, it will be because we feel that you’ll be wasting your money publishing without doing so.
You can supply your own cover if you have your own cover designer. We will allow you a credit on your package price to compensate for providing your own cover and will liaise with your cover designer re: spine width, barcode placement, branding items etc. (Please note that your cover designer will need to be able to export print covers to PDFx-1a standard. We will supply templates, links and further instructions depending on your book’s cover requirements as the project progresses.)
Once you’re happy with our quote, pay it in full or pay a 50% deposit, and we’ll go to work.
We begin by formatting your book for print – laying out the text, formatting chapter headings, page headers and footers, section breaks etc., and adding things such as an imprint page, dedication page and other pages as required. Our base package price covers an unlimited word count, and up to 35 chapters, short stories or poems, each with a separate heading, and each starting on a new page.
We send you a first draft of your book’s internals in a PDF file to get feedback on fonts and layout etc. Once we have your responses, we spit and polish for a maximum of three more rounds to get it as perfect as possible. Please note: while we understand that you will notice some typos etc., at this stage, and we’re happy to fix those for you as part of these rounds, anything more than half a dozen changes per round will be invoiced at our current hourly rate ($80 per hour at 1 July 2019, including GST)..
During the same period, we will be communicating with you about your cover if we’re preparing your cover for you. We will also send your draft cover in PDF format, beginning with the front cover only, then once you’re happy with that, we add the spine and back cover.
If you wish to have your book proofread, then now is the time to organise that. We can organise proofreading for you, you may choose a proofreader from our list of Experts or you may use your own. Changes at this stage should be minimal, and so anything in excess of 15 minutes’ work on our part will be invoiced at our current hourly rate. We strongly recommend that you have your book edited before sending us the manuscript, to minimise post-layout changes.
Eventually we reach ‘proof’ stage. We upload the files to Ingram’s Lightning Source and order you a printed proof. This arrives at your door within about a week to ten days of you signing off on the final files. We will send you an email with a tracking number so you can look out for it, plus hints on what to look for and check when it does arrive.
If you find you wish to make changes to your book, let us know. While there is a fee for this (at our prevailing hourly rate), now is the time to make sure you’re happy with it, before we hit the ‘publish’ button.
If changes are required, then we will send you a fresh PDF to check. Once you sign off on that, we will invoice you for the post-proof work (minimum $155 at 1 July 2019) and then upload the fresh file(s). You are not obliged to have a second printed proof, but if you would like one, there’s a flat fee of $75 to cover that cost.
Once the final files have been approved, we mark the files ‘published’ (either at that point or when you tell us you want the book released), and Ingram sends the data through to their distributors and retailers so that they can start listing the book on their websites for the next three years*. We then create the Amazon KDP paperback version, if applicable, and upload that.
* When the three years is up we’ll get in touch to see if you’d like to renew your Ingram distribution for a small annual fee.
We will send you an email with instructions to create your Smashwords Author page, should you wish to manage it yourself.
We then take your print file, make a copy and begin creating your ebooks. These are usually published to Amazon and Smashwords within about a week of your print book going ‘live’.
We create your IndieMosh author profile and add your book, website and links to where your book can be bought and add your print book to The MoshShop.
We create your IndieMosh author account, so that you can log in and check your sales. (But don’t get too excited yet – it takes at least three months before we start getting sales data for you!).
We will send you emails advising:
- that your book is now published
- where you can find your IndieMosh author profile
- where you can find your print book on Amazon and The MoshShop
- where you can find your ebook on Amazon and Smashwords
- your Smashwords discount codes
- some things you can do to get your marketing started.
We organise for you to receive ten copies of your print book, delivered to your door. If you require more than ten, then we’ll organise a larger run and invoice you for the additional copies. (You can order additional copies at wholesale pricing at any time, and in any number – just email us and we’ll get it organised with you.)
We send a physical copy of your book to the National Library, the NSW State Library, the NSW State Parliamentary Library and the Legal Deposit Officer at Sydney University Library in compliance with the NLA legal deposit program, so that it’s preserved in the Australian archives for future generations.
You’re now a published author – congratulations!
What does it cost?
The base price for our Blue Combo package is $2,695 inc. GST.
First the good news!
- If you’ve published a combo package with us before, we will take off $150 as an IndieMosh loyalty discount.
- If you’ve published a print only package with us before, we will take off $100 as an IndieMosh loyalty discount.
- If you’ve published an ebook only package with us before, we will take off $50 as an IndieMosh loyalty discount.
- If you have your own cover designer and they are capable of exporting print and ebook covers in line with our specs, we will take off $200 to compensate. We are happy to liaise directly with your cover designer if you wish.
The sorts of items which will increase the cost of the package are calculated as small unit costs of the following:
- Additional chapters, short stories or poems in excess of 35 where each starts on their own page and/or has their own heading.
- More than one section e.g. ‘Book 1’, ‘Book 2’ etc
- Tailored headers or footers per additional sections (not counting the initial section e.g. not counting ‘Book 1’)
- Footnotes or endnotes
- Image/Table/Plate/Figure insertions (not including cost of images if we are required to purchase them and does not cover enhancements using Photoshop or other formatting)
- Captions for images, tables, plates, figures etc
- Bullet point lists
- Numbered lists
- Instances of italics, other than in headings
- Table formatting
- Additional tables of contents for images, tables, plates, figures etc
- Index formatting
- Colour internals – $150
- Hardback option – $150
- Premium cover design – from $295
- Author’s promotional postcards x 250 – $295
- Online promotional pack – $195
Find out more about our Optional Extras here