Paperback cover templates and specifications
If you're doing your own cover or you've employed a designer, please take note of the following!
For our Blue Combo package, we will require generally three files:
- a single PDF for the Ingram/Lightning Source print on demand cover
- a single PDF for the CreateSpace/Amazon print on demand cover
- a JPEG for the ebook cover
Depending on the page count and whether your book will be printed in black and white or in colour, on white paper or on cream, spine widths will sometimes vary between 1 and 2, meaning we will potentially require two print covers.
Here are our basic print cover specs:
- Width: bleed + width of your chosen book size + spine + width of your chosen book size + bleed (e.g. for a 6 x 9 inch book with a spine of 0.5 inches, this is 0.125 + 6 + 0.5 + 6 + 0.125)
- Height: bleed + height of your chosen book size + bleed
- Bleed: 0.125in
- Safe margin: 0.125in
- Convert all non-system fonts to outlines
- CMYK colours only
- Export as:
- PDF/X-1a:2001 or PDX/X-3:2002 compliant
- 300dpi (any linked or embedded files should also be 300dpi)
- 180lpi (lines per inch)
- No printer's marks
- Use document bleed settings
If you intend to supply your own cover, we will provide you with a template (for you or your designer to use) once we’ve finalised the file for the internal pages and have a page count and know what your print specs are.
Spine width calculator